The Attorney General of New York is using all of the powers of her office to take down the National Rifle Association. Particularly those surrounding non-profits (which the NRA is) chartered in New York (where the NRA was chartered). And it looks like the DC Attorney General has launched a second front on the NRA Foundation. No, this wasn’t coordinated at all.
Larry Corriea (the International Lord Of Hate) posted a gorgeous rant on the subject, which I’m going to excerpt here. Hat tip to Arizona Rifleman, who I was very happy to see show back up in my RSS feed.
Quoteth the ILOH:
1. Wayne LaPierre is super corrupt, so every negative thing he is accused of is probably accurate. He was past his expiration date a decade ago.
2. There was a fight in recent years to keep the NRA to its mission and not just be the WLP slush fund, but Wayne won.
3. However, the narrative of “New York politicians try to destroy the NRA right before election” is probably going to be the biggest political fund raiser in history.
4. Because gun owners mostly don’t know who WLP is, don’t really know what the NRA does good or bad, but they are loyal to the IDEA of what the NRA does.
5. Which means that even if they dissolve the NRA, all those gun owners, their money, and gun rights activists aren’t going to suddenly vanish (sorry, libs). They’ll go to other orgs, some of which are more focused and dedicated to the mission than the NRA is. (however, some of these can/will be just as inept/corrupt).
6. Even with the WLP and Ack/Mack clown show, the NRA is still the 800 pound gorilla with the clout, reach, and contacts, so ideally WLP gets burned at the stake, the NRA cleans house, and refocuses on its actually mission.
7. If #6 doesn’t shake out, expect to see one of the current smaller orgs turn into the new NRA.
8. After a year of record gun sales to newbs thinking we are on the verge of societal collapse, with blue flu and mayors letting chaos reign, the whole “only the police should have guns” argument falls flat. Even the usual gun control parrots are remarkably silent about “assault weapons” while Black Lives Matter is carrying them. Nobody wants gun control right now, so this might actually be a good time to shake up the NRA.
9. That said, we had better get our shit together FAST, because the left’s moral compass is a wind sock, and though they hate the police and love them some AR-15s today, they’ll be happy to go back to banning guns tomorrow and bragging about how they’ll send the police to kill you if you refuse to turn them in.
10. NRA leadership can suck AND New York can be a bunch of hypocritical douches for only going after the non-profits they don’t like. These two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Just because New York consistently sucks doesn’t mean WLP is an innocent victim here
That last point is key. If the eighteen months have shown us anything, it’s that the NRA has become corrupt, forsaking its core mission for pandering to what it assumes is its core audience and milking them for every penny they can.
I’m still a dues paying member, because that gives me voting rights. They are not getting another cent from me until the executive leadership is removed and a new team is brought in to re-focus the NRA on its core roles as a firearms safety and advocacy organization.